Home > Brian's Blogs, Emerging Church Movement, Evangelism > Vatican Speaks on Roman Catholic Evangelism

Vatican Speaks on Roman Catholic Evangelism

In one declaration the Roman Catholic Church has challenged pluralism and, unintentionally, the Emerging Church Movement: “Roman Catholic missionaries should aim to convert people and not restrict themselves to humanitarian good works, the Vatican said on December 14.”

Christianity Today has posted a brief article titled, “Good Works Not Enough: Latest papal document urges Roman Catholics to win souls.” In essence, “The document aims to correct a ‘growing confusion’ among theologians who argue that it is enough to build communities which strive for justice, freedom, peace, and solidarity.” Amen! This statement challenges pluralism because it recognizes that all religions are not equal and that people without Christ need salvation. This statement also challenges many strands of the Emerging Church Movement that equate the Kingdom of God with societal justice (see my summary and personal thoughts). At its core, evangelism is about the person of Jesus Christ and that redemption is only found in him.

I am not Catholic and I continue to have many, many concerns over Roman Catholic doctrine, but I applaud this understanding of evangelism. In fact, I wish more of our mainline denomination and emerging churches would state the same.

  1. March 5, 2008 at 12:12 pm

    +-56% of christianity, of which I think 75% agree with us, and majorities in the other 25% or so, also hold many of our doctrines, such as lent or the trinity, isn’t not mainline, but if you are interested. my site http://scripturelink.googlepages.com gives the scriptural basis of our beliefs, see “church”, “catholic equation” and “why I’m catholic”

    and use my search engines, if you would like to better understand us. Our views are sometimes not understood. You may find you agree with more than you realise. P.S. I’m glad you like one of our statements, the others are just as amazing. See our orthodox, and oriental brother’s views as well. You’d be amazed.

    God bless.

    Pax Christi Et Catholici

  2. March 14, 2009 at 8:04 pm

    You are interested in evanglizing people to Christ. That is why I am contacting you. You are invited to visit my website. I have written a book on Catholic evangelism. You can get a brief review of it there.

    In Christ

    Larry Ball

  3. Bill
    June 14, 2010 at 9:45 am

    You know, when the Catholic church teaches that pipe organs are the best way for us to evangelize (yes, its true), and essentially ignores the venue of contemporary music in favor of non-biblical, anachronistic modes of worship, one concludes that the greatest obstacle to Catholic Evangelizing are the “type A” control freaks who want to hold on to the past. When contemporary music is suppressed, as it is in many parishes, how do we expect to reach youth? The closing song at Mass this past Friday morning was written in the 1600’s. Great song, beautiful lyrics, but stodgy and disconnected musically from today.

  4. Jonathan
    June 28, 2010 at 7:05 pm

    If you want to reach us youth, then give us good catechises and an understanding of the faith. The music card is old hat. Pop/ rap/grunge/hard rock etc music is in, not 60’s/70’s and 80’s imitation. The Jews have their own modes which pleased God and calmed down demons. Besides even the youth at my parish agree that the “mod” music is lame and that we would prefer something catholic for a change…im 21 btw. I guess ABBA and elvis is making a comeback, but hopefully not in a pew near you!

    • Bill
      March 22, 2011 at 9:58 pm

      Music is catechesis. If you can take 100 people under the age of 20 and play for them Chris Tomlin’s “Holy is the Lord” and a then a piece of Gregorian chant, I will pay you $1000 cash if more of them prefer the Gregorian chant. The music “card” is not “old hat.” It is Biblical, and fundamental to Church teaching on liturgy. We are directed by Rome and our Bishops to take into account age, culture, ethnicity and custom when it comes to liturgical music. Some of the most profound catechetical statements of the New testament are in the form of canticles or songs, which were likely sung at the earliest liturgies. To divorce catachesis and evangelism from sacred music of any style is a mistake.

      Acts 16:25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: