Psalm 88: For Those Who are Alone and in the Dark
If you are feeling like you are at the bottom of it all with no way out or no answer from God, then Psalm 88 is for you.
- What will you do when there is no easy way out?
- What will you do when burden grows each day and lasts for months and even years?
- What will you do when trouble comes and the trouble stays?
- And what will you do when you pray and pray and pray, and ask and ask and ask, and the trouble grows worse and worse and worse?
- What will you do when darkness is your best friend and the walls of the pit rise above you and it seems that not even God is listening?
In a world of quick solutions and simple answers Psalm 88 reminds us that we need to go to God even when it seems like He is not working on our behalf.
Here are some summary thoughts from this Psalm:
- Psalm 88 most importantly teaches us that true faith turns to God and continues to turn to God even when we don’t experience His immediate rescue.
- Psalm 88 teaches us that we do not always have fairy tale lives or fair tale endings.
- Psalm 88 teaches us that feelings are checked by truth.
- Psalm 88 teaches us that we should not read one Psalm only – we need to read Psalm 89 with it (and many others).